Thursday, February 12, 2009

One Year Later

Many of you remember 12 February of 2008 as well as Deanna and I do. This was the day that I was shot while on a combat patrol with the Iraqi Army. I have always been aware of God's presence in my life, but never as miraculously as that day. The miracle extended far beyond how the path of the pullet went clear through my face without hitting anything of importance. It was also in the way that people were in place to lift up and comfort both Deanna and I instantly from my peers in Iraq, to our church family in Virginia, to friends and strangers all around the world. It was also in the way that my quick recovery enabled me to return to the Soldiers I served with -- American and Iraqi -- and give them encouragement.
February 12th, 2008 Deanna and I were a millimeter away from our dreams of a future together having a change of course. One year later I am holding my one week old son -- the beginning of our family together. People ask me if I think God saved me that day for a reason. Maybe I'll put that at the top of the list of questions I ask Him when I eventually get to Heaven. But for now, I know that I am blessed beyond measure and I have experienced His love and protection in a way so great that I need to share it with people around me. And I'm excited to tell Garrett about it over and over again as he grows up.

1 comment:

  1. Garrett is SO CUTE! Not all babies are, you know. And he has his dad's hair! ;-)

    ReplyDelete